I tried this recipe this week and it was a big hit! I doubled the recipe, had it over brown rice, and it lasted a dinner for DH and I, and 2 lunches for me! It's a recipe from South Beach Diet, so no guilt.
The Big Easy Shrimp
- 2 strips turkey bacon or Canadian bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Cook the bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Place on a paper towel–lined plate. Crumble when cool. Leave any drippings in the skillet.
- In the skillet, over medium heat, cook the onion, bell pepper, and celery for 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes (with juice), bay leaf, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and hot-pepper sauce. Heat to boiling. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the shrimp and bacon and cook for 5 minutes, or until the shrimp turn pink. Remove and discard the bay leaf before serving.